Feasibility Study to Enhance Transport & Trade Connectivity on Lake Kivu
TMEA supported the Rwanda Transport Development Agency (RTDA) to enhance transport & trade connectivity on Lake Kivu. The objective of the study awarded to HPC (in JV with Sellhorn Ingenieursgesellschaft mbH) was to develop a ferry and vessel transport system on Lake Kivu, capable of high-speed access between the centres of Rubavu, Karongi and Rusizi, and subsidiary ports, to provide increased water-based transport connectivity for Rwanda initially, and subsequently to develop new access of cross-border trade directly across Lake Kivu to the (DRC).
- Assessment of passenger and cargo flows and trade patterns
- Identification of the main transport and trade corridors
- Traffic forecasts for passengers and cargo
- Identification of relevant ports in Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo
- Planning of relevant ports’ infrastructure
- Proposal of an operations concept
- Economic and financial analyses
HPC provided TMEA with a profound basis to develop a high-speed ferry and vessel transport on Lake Kivu and thus improve transport and trade connectivity in the region.
Inland Ports, RoRo Terminals, Ferry Terminals, Financial Studies
TradeMark East Africa (TMEA)
12/2016 - 10/2017