Concept Development and Simulation of a Greenfield Intermodal Facility
BNSF planned to build an intermodal facility consisting of a large shunting yard and a rail terminal. The terminal should serve as a major hub in BNSF's network. To validate and refine the existing concept, HPC was assigned a detailed simulation study.
- Collected and analysed framework conditions and parameters
- Developed a simulation model of the planned shunting yard
- Analysed the shunting operations using the simulation model
- Developed and assessed different terminal concepts and refined the most promising ones
- Developed an integrated simulation model of the shunting yard and the terminal
- Analysed the overall terminal operations using the simulation model
With the detailed simulations, HPC provided BNSF with proof of the project’s feasibility and the figures required for the environmental impact assessment of the planned facility.
Intermodal Rail Terminals, Simulation
The Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railways Corporation (BNSF)
10/2021 - 10/2022