This project was elaborated by HPC’s former subsidiary UNICONSULT Universal Transport Consulting GmbH. Both companies combined their competencies and services in the course of a merger in July 2017. The project’s objective was to assess possible sites suitable for the construction of a cruise terminal for ships with a length of 300 m to 400 m in Lübeck outside the river Trave in locations bordering the Baltic Sea. Special focus was put on the areas Brodtener Ufer and Priwall as proposed by the Client. UNICONSULT assessed the sites by considering technical, planning, nautical and economic aspects.
- As-is analysis of the cruise development in the Baltic Sea and at the port of Lübeck
- General description of the port location and potential new terminal locations outside the river Trave
- Analysis of the water-side accessibility of the different port locations for different types of ships and ship sizes
- Definition of the spatial and transport requirements at the cruise terminal locations
- Analysis of the future quality and quantity requirements of the various stakeholder groups in the cruise sector
- Operational ship and shoreside requirements for a new cruise terminal in Lübeck
- Evaluation of the identified possible terminal locations outside the Trave
- Assessment of required investment
- Final assessment of the implementation possibilities
Benefit to Client
The client received an assessment and recommendation for handling large cruise vessels at the specific location of Lübeck-Travemünde combined with recommendations based on international benchmark and best practices gained during previous international projects.